The first step in estimating your long-distance moving costs is to consider if you are going to use a professional moving company or move your belongings yourself. Moving with a professional moving company may appear more expensive on the surface than a DIY move. However, professional moving companies typically offer moving services that go above and beyond simply renting a moving truck.
How Are Moving Estimates Calculated?
The price of a state-to-state (long-distance) move is dependent on several factors, including:
- Distance between origin and destination
- Weight (or volume) of your belongings
- Move-out and move-in dates (weekends, summer peak season, etc.)
- Additional services (e.g., packing and unpacking)
A full-service moving company will assist you with the entire moving experience. Most
professional moving companies offer services beyond loading and unloading the truck. The
amount of time, effort, and stress you save may be worth the expense of adding these services.
While collecting estimates from professional movers for your upcoming move, take note of what is included with the price you receive. For example, the quote for an interstate move
with United includes:
Terms and limits
- Coordination of entire move process by a personal Move Coordinator
- Loading, transport and unloading of your belongings
- Placing furniture where you want (standard placement)
- Disassembly and reassembly of standard beds
- Moving appliances (disconnecting/connecting is not included)
- Full Value Protection
apply to services. Please refer to the United tariff for complete rules and information.
Our full-service moving options
allow you to bundle additional services you need for your long-distance move. All full-service moves can be upgraded with the following add-ons:
Once you have an idea of what you would like included in your professional move, be sure to
get a quote for the costs involved. As America’s #1 Moving Company ®, United provides you with a personalized moving quote